Beautiful East Cultural tourism

konik 

Cóż za bogactwo kuultuur!

Roman rotunda in Grzegorzewice Add to route
(0 votes)
Grzegorzowice 51
27-425 Nowa Słupia
Świętokrzyskie Mountains (Holy Cross Mountains)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.nowaslupia.pl
Romańska rotunda w Grzegorzewicach
Romańska rotunda w Grzegorzewicach
Grzegorzewice is located in northern direction from the Jeleniowskie part of Świętokrzyskie mountains, close to Nowa Słupia. The folk tales show that it was the place where Benedictines from the Holy Cross founded a mission and baptize pagan inhabitants of these surroundings The Długosz Chronicles say that the founder of the church was the owner of the village, knight Nawoj of Topór-coat of arms. The temple is composed of two parts: an older, build of field stones in Roman style, a rotunda with a semicircular apse and a nave build on in 1624. The oldest part has style features of typical defensive churches, build in XI and XII century. The walls are made of non-hewn stones, by use of a very primitive technology and primary weren’t plastered. The walls having more than one meter thickness, with high positioned windows show very clearly typical defensive features of the architecture of those times. The interior is accessible through Renaissance stone portals. The Roman rotunda remained unchanged till 1624, when the church has been redeveloped by adding a modest, Baroque nave. Unfortunately during the construction works, the church suffered considerably. The primary entrance to the church has been destroyed, the surrounding walls and part of characteristic Roman window openings were destroyed as well. The whole temple has been covered with a wooden ceiling of same height. Primary the rotunda were higher and was covered with a wooden or stone vaulting. Until today, out of the primary equipment of the temple intact is the sandstone font having Roman features. From the original openings, after the redevelopment in 1627, in the southern part of the rotunda remained one round Roman window, of great artistic values, having an interesting four-leave clearance inside.